Tuesday 28 December 2010

As silly as a rook


"As silly as a rook." my wife said. I said, "What does that mean?" She said, "Its something people say." I said, "I never heard of that before!"
Are rooks silly? At dusk they congregate at the top of horse chestnuts near our house, numbering eighty, maybe a hundred, then, with an agreed squawking, they launch into the fading light all at once, across the fields and back again, breaking like the Red Arrows then regrouping. If you watch carefully you will see they fly in pairs, swirling around each other in a strange choreography, ballroom dancers of the air.

2 comments:

  1. Steve,
    What would it take to get permission to use a digital copy of this "Rook" for a personal project? I'd like to use it as a graphic for a custom set of playing cards which would only be used by my immediate family.
    -mattsmith@byu.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beckie
      You are welcome to use the image here. I'm glad you like it.

      Delete