Friday 24 December 2010

Buzzard

Christmas Eve. The boy is in bed (asleep I hope), my wife has hidden herself away with reams of wrapping paper and sticky tape; I'm not to disturb her at any cost. At last, a chance for a quick sketch. I didn't think I'd get to do today. My lad was disappointed we had no time for drawing together as we have done all week, "I haven't done anything creative today!" he argued shortly before a late bedtime.


But, buzzards, we have lots about in our wild corner. I watch them while I wash the dishes, circling up on the thermals. Five years ago we might see a single bird, or a pair briefly, but now, weather permitting, we can see them daily up to seven at a time. During the summer, while out in the garden, I'd hear them call to each other as they flew above our house. The increased amount of roadkill provides a rich pantry for them and for the rook and jackdaw colony and my long time favourite the magpies.


No comments:

Post a Comment