Friday 14 January 2011

The day our girl ran away

Its OK, this story does have a happy ending.
This morning I took her out for her usual constitutional and let her off in the field. She ran off ahead and ducked out of sight a couple of hundred yards from me, nothing unusual about that, she normally reappears in a moment or two or else I whistle and she comes running. However, not this time. There I was in the rain, wind howling, calling and whistling, whistling and calling and still alone.
I prayed, but no dog appeared.
I imagined her in a ditch, unconscious, or impaled on a spike and torn by barbed wire (I bet you're glad I've already told you this story has a happy ending now!) Was she dog-napped and taken miles away to be sold or used for breeding? I stopped short of alien abduction. Will I ever see her again? After forty minutes, half drowned and frantic, my wife calls me and tells me our little girl is at the local vet! It turns out a kind lady found her on the road (how she got there I still don't know and our girl is not telling) opened her car door and in she jumped. Our girl loves the vet, a trip in a car means only one thing to her - a visit to the vet - she didn't have to be asked to get in a car and she wasn't disappointed, she had a lovely time at the vets.
Turns out my prayer was answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment