Tuesday 15 March 2011

Living without answers...

Following on from the last blog, my Great, Great, Great Grandfather was buried at St George's Church, West Grinstead where he lived most of his life. Born in 1777 and raised in neighbouring Ashurst, he married in Shipley then lived in West Grinstead. Although a humble agricultural labourer, he somehow manage to raise ten children to adulthood, at a time when most labourers were heading to find work in towns. His eldest son found employment with Queen Victoria's Equerry, another son was gardener to the Rathbone family of Liverpool and my own Great, Great Grandfather was part of Queen Victoria's own palace staff. I think Richard Turner may have been employed on the West Grinstead Park estate by Sir Charles Merrik Burrell, 3rd Bart, to achieve what he did for his children. But here's the thing, no proof. How I searched databases and books for any little clue and found no hint. I almost got a bit obessed. I found so much information about so many people I wasn't looking for. And all the hours I spent not doing something else. There's only so many times one can bang one's head against a brick wall .
When doors are locked the time has come to stop the searching and let go, and be content...


...to live without answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment