Tuesday 29 March 2011

Love

This piece is so familiar that it sounds like a cliche and the words trickle past me like rain on a window, I hardly notice them. Then again there's too much in these short sentences to take in. Wedding couples often pick them for their big day.
Just recently they shot into my head and I reread them:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

As a yard stick it makes me feel like a midget; petty and small minded. But, like my little boy's school coat, I will try, with time and God's grace, to grow into it.


'We lose what we try to keep; we gain what we give away...whatever God gives is for passing on.'
- David Prior


No comments:

Post a Comment