Monday 14 March 2011

The Shipley Gang

In the heart of West Sussex lies the small village of Shipley, from a Saxon word meaning 'the place of pasture'. Within stands one of the oldest stone churches of Sussex, built by the Knights Templar in the twelfth century on the sight of an earlier church. It was here that on the 10th of April 1785, James Ewens, son of Henry and Lydia, was baptised. On the 10th of October 1810 he married Hannah Nye in the same church and so began his association with his wife's father and brother and a number of others who became known as the Shipley Gang. 'Robin Hoods' of their day, they stole goods by night from landed gentry, redistributing them amongst members of their family. Times were hard; wealthy men were taking advantage of the law by putting fences around common land and selling it off, leaving the locals with no grazing pasture, firewood or autumn berries. The winters were harsh and machines were taking the work that the poor would do by hand. But the law was upheld and the Gang captured and sentenced to death. This was commuted to transportation. In 1818 James was taken, with other gang members, on the ship the General Stewart to New South Wales. Although pardoned in 1838, he remained in the locality of Sydney until his death in 1861. James left behind his wife and three children in Shipley. His two sons died in the workhouse and his wife remarried.
Since finding this out I've often wondered what James' sister Hannah thought of his behaviour. Was she part of the gang's network or was she distant and disapproving? Hannah Ewens was also married at Shipley, to Richard Turner, my Great, Great, Great Grandfather, both buried in the neighbouring parish of West Grinstead.
If I ever visit Australia again I'll make a point of going to St Peter's Church cemetery, Campbelltown, New South Wales, to pay my respects to my Great, Great, Great, Great Uncle James.


St Mary the Virgin, Shipley, Sussex.

5 comments:

  1. I am a decendant of James Senior and James Junior. Next time I am going down through campbelltown I will surely visit St Peters Church.

    Jenny
    jenny230@tpg.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just come across this old comment of mine. Not sure if you read it as I no longer have that email. The nyes are buried in Sutton Forrest and moss vale bong bong cemetery. My email is jennybailey@y7 mail.com. James is my gggggrandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny Not sure if you are still on this email but I am currently researching the NYes and came across your blog. I'd love to make contact with you
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. Have a MARIA TURNER in my family. She married a FLINT !! Any relation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I'm not aware of any connection to Maria Turner.

      Delete