Saturday 26 February 2011

Outback

It seems a life-time ago now, but my time in Australia was well worth while. I made some good friends, saw some amazing sights and travelled light - a lesson for life. The background for this painting was taken from some of my photos and I was reminded of this when talking with my wife about wild camping. There was something very satisfying to get off the road in the evening, pitch tent, build a fire, watch the sunset while cooking dinner and then listen to the night sounds by firelight. I was awoken one night by a thumping noise outside the tent. I looked out with my torch to find the red eyes of a kangaroo staring back. It was good to see one alive as mostly the visible ones were roadkill!
Like I said, it was so long ago it seems like a dream. Which reminds me of the other night when I lifted my boy up out of bed, a dead weight as he was fast asleep. I said to him, 'You're heavy.' Then he came to and replied, 'That's because I have heavy dreams!'

No comments:

Post a Comment