Sunday 13 February 2011

Sketch

I once met a young lady whilst she and I were travelling in Australia. Her name was Claudia and she was from Germany. There is very little to add to that except for the first time in my life (I was in my mid twenties at the time) I found someone who would listen to what I said. I've been told, and since found even myself doing this from time to time, that people don't really listen during a conversation because they are too busy think of what they want to say next. Claudia never interrupted and never spoke until she was sure I had finished. It was so refreshing that I thought she really liked me to show such respect. The reality dawned on me eventually that, as a native German speaker she had to concentrate to understand my English and took a moment digest what I had said at the end of one of my monologues. My ego can accept it.
Still, the conversations were good.

No comments:

Post a Comment